4 missions where written up in February and now are being entered into the game and tested, tweaked and detail being added in March.
January has been a slow month for Bridge Captain. I have been distracted with Flag Hunt, learning in-app purchases and learning 3D for a possible 3D Steam release of Bridge Captain. On the 3D front I am using lwjgl and now working with shaders and 3D physics. But I will be putting the 3D learning on pause.
The good news is that I have found 3 film students that are now going to help me write the scripts for the missions. This will speed up the development and add more creativity to the game. I am finding the overall story pretty exciting and the mini missions pretty cool.
Below is a list of new features I have added since November
- Fixed many bugs
- Added Jump gates to cross solar systems.
- Created Cross solar system saving
- Created a galaxy map with about 80 potential solar systems
- Each map node can now have a different looking solar system map
- Solar systems now have names
- Solar system map now has co-ordinates
Can click on the main screen/Nav map to pick ships/planets/gates
- Adding tabs to missions (Solar System Missions/Galaxy Missions/Bounty Missions)
- Added tabs and descriptions for cargo items (general cargo/mission cargo/freight cargo)
- Added the notion of Achievements
Achievement table that shows you what secrets you found in the game and hints to the ones you have not found.
- Adding the notion of Factions
- Show faction colors in menu lists and maps
Added a table that shows you the factions and how much they like you or not and you can click on them to read about the faction.
- Added about 10 factions
- Ships have good points and faction points when they are killed
- If you kill a ship not only will you lose points for that ships faction but you can now gain points for another faction
- Added 10 new people graphics
- Cargo can now stack
The ability to show a description for both mission and non mission items. These descriptions can be used to give clues to players on how to solve puzzles in quests.
- Created one new song
- Can now switch the players ship to any ship
- Can now add ships that follow the player
Changed the tables to have pages. Example: if there are too many cargo items then the rest go on the next page.
Added a status button that shows the player their ship status/XP/good and evil points etc..
Added scripting and saving to new features
The first update is ready and on the Google Play market now! Some of the highlights are
- Added a save feature
- Fix a few bugs
- Fixed some of the animations
- Made the fights a bit tougher (Now you need to repair between fights and preserve torpedoes)
Hint there is a way to find more torpedoes
Now I am working on adding a couple of new missions!!
The first version of bridge captain was released yesterday just making it within the 30 day limit!! You can download it at Google Play. Right now its Android only and is really only playable on tablets.
I have created a new video that demonstrates how use the interface now that the game is working.
I have made a couple of updates since my last post
- Logging system that displays current events on the main viewing screen
- Logging system that can view previous events in the computer logs
- Mission Script Editor
- Beginning story
- Game starts with the mission and maps open
- Added all the music and sounds
- Added talking scripts to ships/planets
- Added mission scripts
- Mission scripts can now add enemy ships to the solar system
- Mission scripts now have if statements for making choices in talking mode
Today I finished adding a map to the navigation console. You can turn on and off showing the ships and their names. The green triangle shows your current location.
I added some new features to Bridge Captain on the weekend.
- The tables that show the ships now reorder themselves by distance
- When you target a ship/planet its targeted for hailing/weapons/nav/scan automatically
- You can only hail/scan/shoot ships that are in range
- There is now a marker on the screen showing you where your target is if the target is off the screen
- You can’t use the weapons screen unless you are at red alert
- The game is now has scriptable missions/solar system objects
- Missions now have text and answerable items that leads to more text
- You can gain/lose cargo from missions
- You can beat the game if you run out of missions
- The engineering power sliders are now tied to meaning full sections of the ship.
- Planets are now viewable on screen
- Quick target Panel allows you to scan/hail/navigate to ships/planets without the need to use the computer screens
- Changing the alert status changes the engineering power sliders to the most effective positions